Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aldi film scanner

In this era of the credit crunch it is always worth keeping an eye on Aldi. And the latest bargain is a film scanner for £40. Great! Just what you need for transferring those old slides and negatives. Or is it?

I'm thinking about other bargains like the coffee grinder. It grinds coffee just fine. Only trouble is the design means that sometimes it doesn't stop grinding. The safety interlock gets coffee dust into it then it stays switched on. And you can open the lid and the blade doesn't stop. That is one major design flaw but if you know about it you can just use common sense and not shred your fingers.

This scanner is a rebadged Optex unit. It is in effect a macro camera with three white LEDs illuminating a screen. It is the same as but less fuss than a cheap compact camera with an illuminated screen. It will have to do until I can afford a Nikon Coolscan and on the bright side, it is less likely to start shredding fingers.

1 comment:

josmeijer said...

well, I think it's not!
I'll bring mine back tomorrow. I'ts a cute little thing, but it is just too bric-a-brac to take serious.
You put in the dia's and negative and it automatically scans rapidly through all ISO values to end up at max, degrading my pictures to less than newspaper quality, full of noise (coloured, even in my black & white negatives).I found no way to manually set the ISO to lower values. A shame, as the first 2 steps look promising......